You can help free up storage space on your computer by deleting temporary files that Windows doesn’t need. Maybe these files are occupying the storage space; Because sometimes these temporary files may occupy tens of gigs of this space. If your computer is running low on storage space, Windows 11 has a few ways to delete temporary files that are taking up space on your primary drive.
Temporary files are files that the system and programs temporarily store on the device. For example, when installing programs, the contents of the program’s compressed package are usually extracted in this section and are no longer useful after installation. Therefore, their existence is not very important for normal operation. In Windows, various parts of the operating system and programs generate many temporary files. The remaining files after installing the new version of Windows, update reports, error reports, etc. are among these temporary files.
The presence of temporary files usually does not cause any problems; However, over time they can occupy a lot of space; For this reason, the computer memory is full or the system cannot be upgraded to the new version. If you have Windows 11, there are several ways to safely delete temporary files to free up space, using the Settings app, the Disk Cleanup tool, Storage Sense, and a few other simple methods. In this article, you will learn more about the methods of deleting temporary files in Windows 11.
Delete temporary files through the Windows 11 settings program
- Settings Open and go System click.
- On the right, Roy Storage click.
- in part Local Diskon settings Temporary files click.
- From the bottom, select the files you want to delete.
Attention: In this section, folder Downloads There is also; So, if you keep important information in this folder, don’t select it.
- on the button Remove files click.
After completing the steps, these unwanted files will be removed from your computer and space will be freed for more important files.
Delete temporary files with Disk Cleanup
Disk Cleanup is one of the old Windows tools for cleaning and deleting temporary files, which can still be used in Windows 11.
- Open the Windows 11 search box on the taskbar and Disk Cleanup type in it.
- In the search results, Roy Disk Clean-up Click to open.
- button Clean up system files press the
- files Temporary Files And Temporary Internet Files And Windows Update Clean-up Choose. You can select all options if needed.
- on the button Ok click.
- option Delete Files Choose.
Automatically delete temporary files with Storage Sense
- At settings, Roy System click.
- On the right, Roy Storage click.
- in part Storage Managementon settings Storage Sense click.
- option Keep Windows running smoothly with automatically clean up temporary system and app files mark the
- option Automatic User Cleanup content turn on
- drop down menu Run Storage Sense Click to schedule Windows Automatic Cleanup to delete temporary files. Here, by selecting the option During low free disk space You can set Windows to delete temporary files only when you’re running out of storage space. If you wish, you can schedule this task daily, 14 days, one month and 60 days.
Clear temporary files with command prompt
The Windows command line has many useful commands. One of them is to delete the files in the TEMP directory, which is the most important place to store these types of files.
- Win + S Press and then cmd Type in the search text box that opens.
- Roy Command Prompt Right-click on the search results and select Run as administrator Choose.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
Delete temporary files with batch file
Batch files contain a set of commands to be executed. You can use these files to do many things, including clearing temporary files. To set up a batch file to remove temporary data, follow these steps:
- up Notepad run the
- Then the following code with the shortcut key Ctrl + C Copy and press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V Paste that code into Notepad.
- option File Choose and go Save as Click on the menu.
- In the drop down menu Save as typethe option All files Choose.
- Delete Temporary Data.bat in the box File name enter.
- Save the file on the desktop and click on the option Save click.
- Now you can click on the batch file Delete Temporary Data Click to delete temporary files when necessary.
Also, you can add this batch file to the startup section so that it runs automatically every time Windows boots. To do this, copy the following file to the startup folder:
- Roy Delete Temporary Data batch file Right-click on the desktop and select Copy Choose.
- Run Run (Windows key + R).
- the following path in the box Open Type and click on the option Ok click:
- Then press Ctrl + V to place the batch file in the start-up folder.
Manually delete temporary files
The Temp folder is one of the storage locations for temporary files. You can manually delete the data in this folder through File Explorer.
- Run Bring it up with Win + R.
- %Temp% Type in Run and press the button Ok click.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all content inside the Temp folder.
- on the button Delete Click on the command bar.
- If the dialog box appears and declares “This operation cannot be done; Because a temporary file is in use”, option Do this for all current items in that box and click on the button Skip click.
- The temporary files you delete with this method go to the trash. To clear the trash, double-click on its desktop icon and then the option Empty Recycle Bin Choose.
We hope this educational article was useful for you. If you have any questions about deleting temporary files in Windows 11, share it with us and other Zomit users.
How to delete Windows temporary files?
If you want to completely get rid of your Windows 11 temporary files, by reading the same article, you can get to know 6 ways to delete temporary files in Windows 11.
Is it okay to delete temporary files in Windows 11?
It is safe to delete the contents of the temp folder; Because it doesn’t affect your data in any way. These files are usually deleted automatically; But by following this article, you can speed up the process yourself and delete them automatically or manually.
What happens if I delete all temporary files?
Temp files are not useless files. They contain data that can improve the performance of applications. For example, if you customize application settings, these changes may be saved in a temporary file. Deleting the temp file means you will lose the customized settings. In this case, you need to reset the settings.