This article was updated on 7/17/1401 with the addition of new ways to view the Wi-Fi password on Android, iOS and Windows.
Creating a password for home or work WiFi is one of the ways to protect the wireless network; But did you know that you can easily find the Wi-Fi password by following a few simple steps? Keep in mind that the following methods are not a way to break into a wireless network or commonly known as “wifi hacking” and you will find the password using devices that are already connected to the network.
In addition, to obtain the Wi-Fi password, there is no need for external software, root, jailbreak, or any special type of operating system level access, and the user can easily obtain the password using the tools provided by the operating system itself.
What you will read in this article:
Before the release of Android 10, it was not possible to see the password without rooting the device; But now, using the option available in the Wi-Fi Networks or Network & Internet section, you can easily share the WiFi password with another user or find out the password of the current network. To do this, follow the steps below:
Finding Wi-Fi password with Samsung phone (One UI)
- Go to Settings and tap on Connections.
- Select the WiFi option.
- Click on the gear icon.
- At the bottom of the page, select QR Code.
- Select the Nearby Share option.
- You can see the password on this page.
Find WiFi password with Xiaomi phone (MIUI)
- Enter Settings and then select the Wi-Fi menu.
- Click on the Wi-Fi network name.
- Select the Nearby option.
- On this page, you can see the Wi-Fi password.
Attention Note that it is not possible to copy the password and you have to type the text manually.
After the release of iOS 16, Apple has made it possible to view saved passwords and there is no need to go through long steps. To do this, do the following steps:
- First enter Settings and then Wi-Fi submenu.
- Find the Wi-Fi network you want and click on the i icon.
- Click on hidden password.
- Depending on your iPhone model, use Touch ID or Face ID to authenticate.
- After completing the above steps, the Wi-Fi network password will be displayed.
Most of the programs that display the Wi-Fi password require root access. But you can share the Wi-Fi password through QR code, scan the code on the other phone to display the password.
There are several ways to find the Wi-Fi password in Windows 11; But in this article we introduce two simple ways.
Find Wi-Fi password through Control Panel
- Open Start and then type control panel. (You will automatically enter the search section).
- Open Control Panel and then click on Network and Internet.
- Then select Network and Sharing Center option.
- In the opened page, you will see the name of your Wi-Fi network. Click on it.
- In the new dialog, click Wireless Properties.
- Enter the Security tab.
- Check the Show characters option. (At this point, if UAC is displayed, click Yes)
Find Wi-Fi password through Command Prompt
- Press Win+R to open the Run window. (You can enter Run in the search section). Then in the Run window box, enter CMD and click OK.
- To display the names of Wi-Fi networks, type netsh wlan show profiles and then press Enter.
- Find the name of your Wi-Fi network and remember it. (You can highlight its name and copy it after right clicking on it)
- Enter netsh wlan show profile name=profilename key=clear. In this section, instead of profilename, enter the desired Wi-Fi network name.
- After executing this command, Wi-Fi network specifications including Key Content, which is the network password, will be displayed.
Apple’s desktop operating system known as macOS stores all passwords, including WiFi network passwords, in an application called Keychain, which stores all passwords in iCloud. These passwords will be available on all Apple devices, including the iPhone. Follow the steps below to view your Wi-Fi password on Mac operating system:
- Invoke Spotlight by pressing Command + Space.
- Search for keychain access and run the found program.
- In the search box of the Keychain Access program, search for the name of the Wi-Fi network you want and double-click it.
- Then activate the Show password option to display the password.