How to hide files in Windows 11
2. Hide files and folders with powershell
You can also use PowerShell to hide files and folders in Windows 11. Hiding a file or folder only requires executing a few commands. So if you prefer to use the newer Windows terminal, you can follow the commands below.
- Press the Windows key or click the Start button.
- Search for PowerShell and Run as administrator Select from the right column.
- Once PowerShell has started, run the following commands in order, pressing Enter after each one. Note that instead of path to folder You must enter the actual path of the folder or file in the system.
- The above command hides the folder. If you want to hide the contents of the folder as well, run the following command:
If you can’t hide the folder through PowerShell, make sure Controlled Folder Access is disabled in Windows Security. Also, remember that the terminal will not show any confirmation message after running the code. To know if the file was hidden correctly, you should check it yourself.
How to hide a folder from search results in Windows 11
You can hide files and folders from Windows Search to prevent unwanted items from appearing in local search results. You can achieve this goal in one of two ways that we will explain below.
1. Change Windows settings
The easiest and fastest way to prevent any file or folder from appearing in search results is to change the privacy settings in Windows settings. To hide a folder from search results in Windows 11 this way, follow these steps:
- Win+I Press to open the Windows settings window.
- Privacy & Security Select from the left window and on Searching Windows Click on the right side of the window.