Flashing a phone is the process by which the operating system is reinstalled on the phone. In this process, according to the user’s request, all the data in the phone, including personal data and the operating system, may be deleted and the files related to the operating system may be rewritten. Therefore, this feature of smartphones is very useful to fix possible problems after software updates.
For this, it is necessary to connect the phone to another external device, such as a laptop, and the files related to the operating system are downloaded from the manufacturer’s website and then uploaded to the phone. In addition, the user can do this manually with different tools.
If your iPhone has a problem or is buggy or won’t boot and you want to restore your iPhone to fix it, or if you plan to make sure to delete personal information on the device before selling your iPhone, or if you need to flash for any reason You have a phone, in this article we will teach you how to flash iPhone (restore).
- By flashing the iPhone, all your data will be deleted from the phone, so you must back up your data before performing the flashing operation.
- To restore the iPhone, you need to install iTunes software or one of the iPhone management programs such as 3UTools on the computer.
- Be sure to find my iPhone before starting disable the You must remember your Apple ID password for this, otherwise Strictly avoid restoring the iPhone. To disable Find my iPhone, go to Settings and tap your profile at the top of the screen. Find my Then Find my iPhone Select and Find my iPhone disable the
IPSW file It is a software update file for devices manufactured by Apple that Apple has released. IPSW It is intended to add new features and fix security vulnerabilities in compatible devices and can be used to flash iPhone or other Apple devices. IPSW It is considered an archive file format It is used by Apple iTunes and determines the iOS version of your iPhone. This archive format includes PLIST, BBFW, IM4P and even encrypted DMG files.
iOS will automatically update the system to the latest version as soon as the user gives permission. Apple also always releases the latest IPSW files through iTunes; But the current and previous versions of the firmware can also be downloaded through other websites such as IPSW Downloads. Using the IPSW file You can flash or restore the iPhone manually. In order to flash the iPhone with iTunes, follow the steps below:
- IPSW file on your Windows computer the desired from IPSW Downloads download.
- Select the product and model to go to the IPSW file website Determine the right one for you.
- Now select and download the recommended version or any of the desired versions. Note that the version you choose should not be lower than the iOS version of your device.
- Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to the computer. Click on the iPhone icon next to the music bar.
- Since flashing iPhone with iTunes will erase all your data, remember to back up your device data to iCloud or computer. Roy Back Up Now click. In Windows, the backup is by default in C:Users[Username]AppDataRoamingApple ComputerMobileSyncBackup is saved.
- Shift Press and hold and on Restore iPhone click.
- While the key Shift hold on Restore iPhone Click to select the IPSW file you downloaded.
- And then wait for the restore process to complete.
When finished, the iPhone will restart automatically. You can restore your data from the backup you made, or disconnect the phone from the computer and set it up like a new phone.
If you don’t want to use iTunes to flash your iPhone, we suggest using 3UTools:
- Connect the iPhone to the system with a cable and then run the 3UTools app.
- From high fever Smart Flash Choose.
- From the left panel on Easy Flash click.
- Here you can see your device model and the firmwares you can choose to flash.
- Whichever IPSW is right for you Download or if you have already downloaded the IPSW file on Import click. If you want to use a downloaded IPSW file, next to the option Select local firmware Roy Import click.
- After choosing the right option on Flash click.
- The iPhone may restart several times while flashing. After finishing, a message based on the completion of the iPhone flashing process will be displayed. By seeing this message, you can disconnect the device from the system.
Flashing the iPhone in cases where the phone does not turn on
Sometimes the phone may not turn on or it may be in a situation where you cannot simply connect it to the computer with a cable to get help from the first method. In these cases, you need to flash the iPhone in recovery or DFU mode.
Recovery Mode can be critical for recovering an iPhone that isn’t recognized by your computer, gets stuck on the Apple logo, or has trouble updating to the latest iOS version.
- Run iTunes and connect the iPhone to the system with a cable.
- Then, depending on the type of phone, perform the following steps until the recovery screen appears and the iPhone goes into recovery mode:
- iPhone 8 or newer and iPhone SE (second generation): Press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press and hold the side button to see the recovery mode screen.
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the up or side button and the volume down button at the same time to see the recovery mode screen.
- iPhone 6s or previous versions and iPhone SE (first generation): Press and hold the home button and the top or side button at the same time to see the recovery mode screen.
- In iTunes when option Restore Or Update you saw Restore Choose. Wait for your computer to download the device software or by holding the key Shift on the button Restore Click to select the form you downloaded yourself.
- When the iPhone is successfully restored, it will automatically exit recovery mode. After the iPhone is flashed, you can reset it.
DFU (stands for Device Firmware Update) is the last resort for troubleshooting major iOS device issues. When your iPhone won’t turn on or off, gets stuck on the Apple logo, freezes on a screen, or doesn’t respond to your touch, you can put it in DFU mode. Unlike the recovery mode, in this method, you can downgrade your iPhone and install an older version of the firmware on it. DFU mode can bypass the bootloader and prevent it from loading the default operating system.
DFU Mode is the highest level of restore you can do on your device; So only if none of the above methods to flash your iPhone was the answer, try this method. Keep in mind that since the process of entering this mode is a bit difficult, you may not succeed in the first attempts and need to repeat the process. To do this, run iTunes and connect the iPhone to the system with a cable, then depending on the type of phone, perform the following steps until the recovery screen appears and the iPhone goes into DFU mode:
iPhone X and up and iPhone SE 2022:
- Press and release the volume up button.
- Immediately press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the side button for 10 seconds. The screen will be black
- Hold the side button and press the volume down button for 5 seconds
- Release the side button after 5 seconds; But hold the volume down button.
- Continue pressing the volume down button for another 10 seconds. Release the Volume Down button when you see the notification that iTunes has detected the iPhone.
- Roy OK Click and Restore iPhone (If you reject this message, proceed as the first method).
Attention: If you see the Apple logo or your iPhone restarts, it means that one of the steps was not followed correctly. In such a situation, read the process carefully and repeat.
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus:
- Press and hold the side button for 3 seconds.
- While holding the side button, press and hold the volume down button. Pause for 10 seconds.
Attention: If the Apple logo is displayed on the screen, you need to run the process again and make sure that you do not hold the keys for a long time.
- Now release the side button but hold the volume down button for about 5 more seconds.
Attention: If notification Plug into computer appeared on the screen, you should try again and make sure you don’t hold the keys for too long.
- Now your iPhone will be in DFU mode. The screen will go black. You’ll get a message from iTunes saying your iPhone has been detected. Roy Restore iPhone click.
iPhone iPhone 6s or previous versions and iPhone SE (first generation)
- Press and hold the right side button for 3 seconds.
- While still pressing the side button, press and hold the home button. Continue holding both buttons for 10 seconds.
Attention: If you hold down the buttons for a long time, you will see the Apple logo. This means that your attempt has failed and you have to start again from the first step.
- Immediately after 10 seconds, release the side button but still hold the home button for 5 seconds.
Attention: If the message Plug into the computer appeared on the screen, you need to start over and make sure you don’t hold the keys for too long.
- If you follow the steps correctly, the iPhone screen will remain black and enter DFU mode. When a message appears in iTunes, tap to flash your iPhone Restore iPhone click.
If you change your mind and want to exit DFU mode halfway through:
- iPhone X and up + iPhone SE 2022: Press and release the volume up button. Immediately press and release the volume down button. Finally, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Press and hold the side button and the volume down button together. When you see the Apple logo on the screen, release both buttons.
- iPhone 6s and older: Press and hold the home button and side power button together. Release the buttons when you see the Apple logo.
We hope this article has been useful to you. If you have any questions about iPhone flashing or if you encountered problems in the above steps, share it with us and Zomit users. Also, if you have the experience of flashing an iPhone, share your experience in the comments.